2018 Citizen of Distinction Nominations Now Open
Join us in celebrating the people who strive make our community a wonderful place!
Do you know a current or former Morden resident who has made an exceptional impact on our community through volunteering and/or employment? Someone who shows positive leadership and has made a significant contribution toward the future of our community?
It sounds like you might know a potential Citizen of Distinction – and we want to hear about them!
The Morden Area Foundation (MAF) Citizen of Distinction Award is designed to recognize and honour, on an annual basis, citizens who have a strong commitment to making the City of Morden and area a better place to live, visit, and play through their long term commitment by service and excellence in leadership.
Here’s the criteria:
- Nominations must be submitted on an official MAF Nomination Form.
- All entries must be received no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, April 5, 2019.
- All nomination information and material submitted remains the property of the MAF.
- Nominees must be a current or former resident of Morden to be eligible for this award.
- All nominees must be individuals who have exemplified volunteerism and/or a commitment to improving the City of Morden through their place of employment. All nominees must exemplify a positive leadership quality that is truly inspiring for others to care for one another and uplift the fellow citizens of Morden and area.
- The nominee’s service to the community will have occurred over an extended period of time and not focused solely on one singular event or activity.
- Nominees must have made a significant contribution toward the future of our community through conservation projects, education, health and welfare projects, awareness of or advocacy to the development of Morden.
- Nominees must be at least 18 years of age.
- All nominees clearly set positive examples and motivate others.
- Two names must appear as nominators on Nomination Form.
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years.
How does the nomination process work?
An individual only needs to be nominated once in order to qualify. Once the nomination deadline passes, a selection committee made up of past recipients will review accepted applications and make a final decision.
The selection decision is based on length of service/commitment/leadership, the legacy created, impact on the community, and breadth of the individual’s impact.
Once the winner is announced, we invite you to join us in honouring the individual with a reception held at the Morden Legion Branch #11 on Sunday, May 26 2-4 p.m. Anyone is welcome to attend!
If you would like to fill out a nomination form or read this information as a print-out, you can find both documents as links on this webpage.
A legacy of exemplary of community service
While the Citizen of Distinction is a new title for this award, it stems from a rich history of celebrating outstanding Mordenites.
In 1946, the Kinsmen Club of Morden established the Meritorious Service Award at the suggestion of its first honorary member, Judge J.M. George. The first recipient of the ‘Citizen of the Year’ award was George E. Cox.
The final Kinsmen Award was presented in 2002, the year the Morden Kinsmen Club ceased operation. From 1946 to 2002, the Kinsmen Club recognized 57 citizens for their outstanding community service. The Morden Area Foundation understands the importance of philanthropy in creating a robust community and therefore chose to continue presenting this award to some of Morden’s finest.
While this award was initially based on exemplary contributions based solely on volunteerism, in 2018 the MAF Board agreed there are so many outstanding citizens making impactful contributions of service to the City of Morden through their work. Therefore, today nominations may be made on volunteerism and/or paid work.
Today the MAF Citizen of Distinction Award is granted to citizens who make a difference to the lives of all those to wish to live, play, and visit the City of Morden through their role modelling leadership, positive attitude, behind the scenes support and/or out front leadership, and authentic care for the wellbeing of Morden and area.